Sunday, 26 July 2026

Fallen by the Wayside

Lately, my birding has fallen by the wayside, and I just can’t seem to muster the enthusiasm to get out chasing and searching for birds to boost my list. I’m not entirely sure why, but I think it’s a combination of things—this extremely hot and sunny weather doesn’t help, especially after spending all day in a factory where temperatures reach 32–33 degrees. I sometimes think back to when my nephew was in Afghanistan, dealing with heat closer to 54 degrees while wearing full body armor, and I tell myself to just get on with it. I’ve also just completed Fire Marshal Training, and now when I look around the engineering workshop, I see potential fire hazards everywhere that we used to take for granted. Writing my first report felt a bit overwhelming. Anyway, enough of my moaning—time to get back to the birds and other interesting encounters.


27th June.


I decided to make one more trip to Weymouth in hopes of spotting the Bittern. The day was bright and sunny with a clear blue sky, and I positioned myself overlooking the reeds. I spent most of the day there, seeing only a couple of Marsh Harriers and a Common Tern. It became a frustrating day as people kept asking what I was watching or photographing which I usually don’t mind until someone shouted, “Did you see the Bittern fly over the reeds?” “No,” I replied. Later, another person asked if I had seen the White-tailed Eagle; again, I said no, only for them to casually mention it was spotted last week. Just then, another shout came “Bittern coming back across the tops of the reeds!” I turned around but missed it again. A lady nearby told someone on a bike that it was the second time I had missed the bird because someone had stopped to talk. From that moment on, I focused solely on the large reed bed. After many hours of watching, I finally saw the Bittern rise and fly very low over the tops of the reeds.


One Friday 10th July afternoon after work, I set out to see some Helleborines I’d been told about, not far from where I worked. Having never seen Broad-leaved Helleborines before, I just had to go, even though it was the brightest and hottest part of the day at 1:30 p.m. With my camera checked and packed, I finished my shift and headed out on the short journey. Parking along the single-track lane proved tricky, but after passing the spots and looping back, a car left just in time for me to pull in. I walked down the road to the entrance gate, grateful to leave the blazing orange sun in the blue sky behind as I stepped into the shade of the woodland glade. Following the path, I soon spotted my first plant, and a little further on, found more of these lovely Helleborines. I expected them to be taller, but they were beautiful nonetheless. That day I also discovered another new plant for me: a delicate little one called the Enchanter’s Nightshade.





Above some of the Broad-leaved Helleborines 


The delicate; Enchanter's Nightshade

It was not until the 19th July  that I was out again this time I made myself get up and get to do my WeBs count at Longham Lakes. This was a good move as I really enjoyed going round the two lakes counter the wildfowl and observing all the other types of wildlife one can see at Longham a times. The count done and noticing the the coot numbers having gone up to 181 and Tufted Duck up to 83. I started to look and the butterflies and dragonflies about the sight. The best of these being 4 Clouded Yellow butterflies and a Lesser Emperor.

Cloudy Yellow

Lesser Emperor

Feeling more upbeat about my birding as news was coming in about a Wood Sandpiper over at Morden Bog, I decided to head out despite it being the hottest part of the day, just past midday, with only an apple and some water for fuel. I set off for Morden Bog, a place I hadn’t visited in a long time. Walking across the heath to where I thought the sandpiper might be brought back a special memory from May 2014, when I joined a Birds of Poole Harbour guided walk led by Paul Morton. That day turned out to be one of the best birding days ever, topped off with a lifer: a Short-toed Eagle. As I made my way towards the expected spot, I encountered another birder and asked if he knew where the Wood Sandpiper was. He pointed me to the two pools to the right of the track, which was lucky, as I’d have been heading the wrong way. At the pools, I scanned the first one with no luck, but then saw someone waving and pointing. Following a small path through the trees to the next pool; bingo! Right in front of me, though at a short distance, stood the Wood Sandpiper in a boggy patch before a clump of tall grass. Wonderful.


Record capture of the Wood Sandpiper 154th species

No comments:

Post a Comment