Monday 11 January 2016

Patchworking Visit 2

Sunday 10th January 2016 I set off at 9.00am to visit my Patchwork Challenge Sites that I set up at the beginning of the year. To see if i could add any new birds to the list.
The first place of call was Lytchett Fields and Slough Lane. Here I look for birds along the hedge rows along the lanes and in the Pools Field, The bay, Frenches Field and Sherford Pools. This sight gives me a good mix of species to been seen from passerines, waders and raptors.

Walking down the lane


As I walked down the lane a Song thrush was singing away and Robins chattering made for a pleasant start to the day. On the way to the Pools Field scanning the trees and bushes I add a couple  new birds to the list Dunnock and Great Spotted Woodpecker  with more Blue, Great Tits to be added to the BirdTrack list.

The Pools Field
While standing at the gate looking to see what I could find out in the field  just to my left there is a nice clump of trees were you can usual see birds and today was slightly different as besides the usual tits and robins that are there I also add a new bird to the list here a nice little Chiffchaff.
Out in the field their was 34 Redshanks, 8 Curlew most likely more hidden away in the long grass. Down by the view point were you can get a better view of the field I added Starling,  Wren and among the Curlew I spotted a lone Black-tailed Godwit that is 6 new birds and I still not been down the rest of the lane and on to the fields. So I made my way down the muddy and part flooded lane and soon picked upper another with a single Chaffinch, looking across one of the fields I noticed a bird perched at the top of the tree and a Pheasant strutting across the field, I got the scope on the bird in the tree and it was a female Kestrel.
I made my way across the water logged field  and crossed the birdge over the stream that was almost full to bursting.
Standing on the little birdge looking back towards the lane
As the tide was very high today I thought there might be some good wildfowl out on the water,I like to go to this site at diffrent times of day and states of tide. This helps me get a better understanding of the place and when and what species and likely to be about, but today their was not many wildfowl out on the water, 38 Teal and a hand full of Shelduck which is not suprising really with the wildfowlers out in the bay bagging a few duck. Though with all the shooting going on I still added three new birds to my list with Black-headed Gull, Greenfinch and Snipe, which made 9 new species for the day.
Dunnock

Record Shot of 107 Black-tailed Godwit at Upton CP
After spending two hour walking round and watching the birds a this site I ended up with with nine new bird which bring the list up to 48 species recorded so far giving me 55 species points.  
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Chiffchaff
Chaffinch
Black-headed Gull
Black-tailed Godwit
Wren
Starling
Dunnock
Snipe 

 I headed over to my other patch Longham Lake.
Longham Lake Patch

Looking across the lake from the west bank
I arrived at the lakes at 13.50hrs after a heavy showers on my way from Poole to find two Redwing in the car park and another singing Song Thrush not far from the visitor centre.
On the small lake I counted 20 Pochard it is great to see these birds back for the winter hopefully there numbers will build over the coming weeks.

One of 20 Pochard on North Lake

I walked round both lakes this afternoon with the hope of getting some new birds to build up the Longham list. Which thankfully I managed to do, the first new bird was a lone Greylag goose among 72 Canada geese out on the flooded Hampreston fields.
Flood Field with the Dorset Stour spilling over its banks

 
Fist group of Canada geese

Second group of Canada geese
Flooded Fields
I ended up with 7 new birds for the patch which brings the list up to 36 species recorded and a 37 species points. Which was not to bad going given how the weather was with intermiten showers on and off during the afternoon.
Cormorant 


The new birds
Greylag goose
Great Black-backed Gull
Greenfinch
Green Woodpecker
Moorhen
Dunnock
Grey Wagtail

No comments:

Post a Comment