Saturday 8 October 2016

A Search for Yellow-browed Warbler

This morning I went in search of a Yellow browed Warbler with so many being recorded in the country and some in Dorset, I thought surely one would be at Longham Lakes.
Even though I worked the patch hard from 10.25 until 14.25 I could not find a Yellow browed Warbler, I thought my luck was in when I found a flock of 12 Long-tailed Tits but all I could find with them were 2 Blue Tits and a Chiffchaff, later on I found another small LTT flock consisting of 6 birds with these there were two Great Tits and Chiffchaff again.
On the large Island I found 5 Little Egrets,15 Lapwing, 3 Snipe and one Grey Heron, on the water round the island there were 15 Shoveler ( the first of the autumn/winter? ) a 1st/2nd winter Common Gull, 6 Gadwall, 2 Teal. 14 Great Crested Grebes spread across the two lakes and 8 little Grebes, while watching a Buzzard, 12 Swallows came over high and moving fast with purpose heading south then late three Swallows hawking across the lake. Also had 4 Jays fly over a Kingfisher was flying up and down the lake fishing from the small jetty on the east side of the large lake, 2 Grey Wagtails up on the South Pools.
and 6 Meadow pipits seen and a few finch sp flying high over the lake heading south.
Some of the willows along the coarse way have been cut down which helps give very good views of the island, I hope they are not planning on cut them all back or down all in all a very nice morning/day at the lakes. The search continues
 
1st/2nd winter Common Gull
Grey Wagtail

Poor record shot of Grey Wagtail flight
 
 Phone Scoped Green Woodpecker

No comments:

Post a Comment