Sunday 29 September 2013

Upton Country Park

28th September 2013,

The day started with heavy showers in the morning and I though I did not have much chance of get out . But I wanted to get over to Upton Country Park to see the large flock of Black Tailed Godwits that are starting to build up in the bay. So while I waited for the showers to subside I looked up Easy Tide to find what time low & high tide would be.
The weather started to turn a bit bright  and I headed of to UCP after a short journey I arrived at my destination to  find the weather here cloudy but mild.

Gear shorted and I head off through the grounds to the bay on the way there were squirrels running about and up through the trees, some ducks around the little pond 
Looking up towards the House
 
and Jay a calling as I got nearer to the bay I made my way to the old stone bench as this is wear I thought I would get a good view arrived 11.40am
 
At the Bench  their was another birder and I asked what is about and he pointed out a Spotted Redshank a first for me. After look around the bay at all the birds that were using the bay I could see a large group of waders feeding far out in the bay. So after talking to the other birder I said I would go over to the hide for a better view, I was a bit surprised with is answer  its not there any more it got burnt down a few months back. (The last time I was in this hide was May 25th) So with that I settled in at the bench and started to watch the waders that were feeding in the creek. There were a few Black Tailed Godwits up on one of the mud banks along with a few other bird.
 
View out into the bay
 


I must of caught the tide just right as it was starting to come back in and as I sat there more and more birds were getting pushed closer until late afternoon when a large flock of BTG built up on the mud bank directly in front of me. A sight I shall not forget to see a large group of these birds fly in a cross the water and land. This group built up throughout that afternoon until there must of been somewhere near 600 plus birds a most enjoyable sight.
Now the birds I saw this day were as follows.
 
Jay, Robins, Blackbirds on the way through the grounds.
Out in the bay,
Lesser Black Backed Gull, Oystercatcher, Shelduck Redshanks, Black Tailed Godwits C600, Moorhen, Mute Swan, ducks possible in the hundreds of Mallard, Teal and Wigeon, Spotted Redshanks(a lifer),Mediterranean Gull, Black Headed Gulls,  4 Little Egrets, a Common Gull and a Sandwich and Common Tern. Had to drag myself away from this place at 3.00pm a very good day indeed.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment