Sunday 1 February 2015

A Trip to Blashford Lakes

Today my son wanted to go over to Blashford Lakes for a change as we have been going to Longham Lakes recently, So I took my camera with my 400mm lens with the hope I might be able to get to use it in the woodland hide.
We got there about 1.30pm and parked at the Tern hide here we looked over Isbley lake it was very windy and the lake was choppy but we managed a few good birds from here, Little Grebes, Goosander and the Black-necked Grebe.
From here we walked over to the Woodland Hide on the way a Buzzard drifted lower over the path  but the camera was in the bag at this point, Song Thrush and Blackbird along the path  with some Robins. To my surprise the hide was empty so I got to use my camera which I have not used in this hide for a while now as every time I went with this lens someone was always sat in the open window seat.
We sat here a while watching and taking pictures of the birds these were Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Chaffinch, Robin, Blackbird, Goldfinch and Dunnock.

Blue Tit

Cole Tit

Chaffinch

Great Tit

Nuthatch
It was nice to be able to have a practise with this lens again, though the pictures are still not as sharp as I would like them to be but that might be due to the low light level and the use of ISO 400. I have been toying with the idea of getting my self a bridge camera like Sony Cyber Shot or a Canon SX50or SX60 to take birding with as I find lugging the SLR and the 400 L lens a bit cumbersome. But I have no exspirence with these types of camera and not sure how good they would be, though I like the idea of smallish camera that I could carry in my pocket or a small bag. 
From here we made our way down to Ivy South Hide but decided not to go in but take the path round which skirts Ellingham lake and the Dockens Stream . Which was a good move as we spotted two new birds for the year a lovely pair of Bullfinch which I could not get close enough to photograph and a Great Spotted Woodpecker high up in a Tree calling. Also along the path were more Nuthatch, Long-tailed Tits, Goldcrest, Wren more Blackbirds and Song Thrush so all in all a very good afternoons walk.

New birds for the year
Black-necked Grebe
Goosander
Bullfinch
Cole Tit

2 comments:

  1. Nice pics :) I do enjoy going to Blashford, but my wife and children aren't too keen as there is very little there. Glad you saw some new birds for the year.
    I have a Canon SX50. It's a good little camera, but is no good for bird in flight shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I have the same problem my wife gets bored just sitting in a hide or get fed up if out for a walk and I keep stopping to look at a bird. I am still considering a bridge camera, Is the range could on the zoom and IS

      Delete