Saturday 11 April 2015

Sunnyside Farm/ Stobough Heath

Took a walk along the tram way at Sunnyside farm and up on to the heath Saturday morning/afternoon with the hope of finding some migrant birds. Unfortunately I did not find any outstanding birds. Though along the tram way there were lots of Chiffchaff singing along with Chaffinch and Greenfinch.

Chiffchaff
As I walked along the tram way a lone Swallow came in low right over the top of me a flew along the track then went up over the fields towards the farm. At this point I stopped to watch a couple of Meadow Pipits displays over some rough ground on my right at first I though they might of been Tree pipits as they we landing in a small row of trees ( small sliver Birch) then taking off and doing a flight song as they parachuted back down to the ground or tree. Since watching the http://www.bto.org/about-birds/bird-id/bto-bird-id-meadow-pipit-tree-pipit-skylark
I came to the conclusion that they were Meadow Pipits unfortunately I was unable to get a picture of them as the were to far and I was watching through my scope.

Part of the Heath land I walked over
As I got the gate that leads on to the heath I head a Willow Warbler and I just about managed to see him before it flew away from me which was nice to see and hear this bird brings my total up to a 101 species seen so far this year. Out on the heath I saw Stonechats, Dartford Warblers more Chiffchaff and Willow Warblers a Kestrel , Buzzards and from my view point a wonderful Marsh Harrier.

On top of the heath there were some free roaming horse that did not seem to mind people so I grab a couple of practise shots and this was the best one of a bunch.

Horse
After this a started my way up the hill and back to the tram way from the top of the hill I took a picture of Corfe Castle  a that was in distance. The castle was in the hands of Lady Mary Banks and in 1643 was besieged by parliamentary forces .

Corfe Castle ruins




No comments:

Post a Comment