Wednesday 18 May 2016

Holt Heath

The morning of the 17th of May I had a stroll round one of my favourite heaths, Holt Heath looking for Hobby's, and did not find any but had a very enjoyable walk round part of the heath their is so much heath to explore here and one day I am going to have a good walk round the whole site.
On the walk down and through the wood from the car park I heard and saw Song Thrush, Chaffinch, Robins,Blackbirds and Chiffchaff. Out on the heath and close to the path there were Linnets,Meadow Pipits,and Tree Pipits I think a long with two Skylarks and Darford Warblers. Scanning the sky for Hobby produce one Kestrel and Buzzard with a few more Buzzard way off in the distance.

Male Stonechat

Meadow Pipit
Meadow Pipit

Part of Holt Heath
After this I decided I would have a walk round my Patch Work Challenge site at Longham Lake just to see if I could get a picture of the Black-necked Grebe and hopefully add some bird birds to the list
On arriving the Swifts, Swallows and House Martin were putting on a good show again , today instead of walking up the path between the lake I decided head left to straight up the path going south. This turned out to be a wise move as just as I got past a little jetty I heard a bird singing deep in the cover of the bramble and scrub which I thought to be Garden Warbler and bird I need as I had not seen one for the sight  I stood there listening  and then I saw the bird move low along the out side of the hedge I just about got the bins on it before it dived in to deep cover again and started singing .
This bird brings the list up to 80 species seen so far for the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment