Friday 13 May 2016

The amazing Lytchett Fields

Thursday 12th May I just had to visit my other patch at Lytchett field as other patchers found some great birds and being stuck at work I feared I would miss them so after work I headed home to pick up my scope. By this time it had started to rain though not much and this was not going to stop me, then I hit the first traffic jam getting out of Wimborne as I got through this then rain started to become heavy  but still this was not stopping I got through Corf Mullen quickly but it heavy traffic again now I was starting to have doubts to whether I would see the birds trying to keep calm I patiently got through the hold up only to park the car and the heaven opened and it hammered it down so I waited with the hope it would ease which it did a little. I set off down the wondering if the birds would still be there or hunkered down some after the deluge. Going down the lane I met another bird and asked if the birds were still on show the answer I got was positive but with only one bird showing. Encouraged by this new I made hast and got to the field with another two birders there and who pointed out one of the birds I was looking for a Black-winged Stilt what a  bird with its very very long what looked like washed out reddish pink legs and brown tinged back. My very first Black-winged Stilt what a lifer.
Another patcher Ian Ballam too some excellent shots of the bird and as kindly let me use on my blog so my thanks to Ian for these photos.


Black -Winged Stilt ©Ian Ballam

Black -Winged Stilt ©Ian Ballam
 After watching this bird feed for a while it seem a bit flighty flying to the back of the fields and then coming back I think this was due to the water levels being rather high this evening.
The evening got even better when we moved over to French's view  were over in the distance and in the far gate opening there was the Glossy Ibis though was on the far side of the field it was great to see my first Ibis. This is place is just amazing for birds it as given me three lifers already this year I wonder what I else I will see, though I must thank  the other patch watchers Ian Ballam, Shaun Robson, Dave Jones and Birds of Poole Harbour for sharing there sightings.

Glossy Ibis ©Martin Wood

Glossy Ibis ©Martin Wood
Just as I was about to leave the Ibis came out in to the field and I had a cracking view with the light catching is feathers and I was able to see some of the glossy green sheen stunning and a great end to the evening.
With these bird the patch list as come on very nicely now with 99 species seen and a point score of 117
The new bird this evening were
Black-winged Stilt
Glossy Ibis
Common Sandpiper
Shoveler
Coot 


No comments:

Post a Comment