Saturday 5 March 2016

Longham 1st and 2nd trips in March

On Friday the 4th I dropped in to Longham Lake on the way home from work to do some patch watching. February was very slow and with it now being spring though the weather does not know it as it was bitterly cold in the wind and by the time I had gone round the south lake it started to feel like snow but turned in to a hail storm.
Lucky by then I had seen all that I could see a round the lake and fields,it was Hampreston Fields that came up with the new birds for March and what a nice species to find my first for the site to boot.
While scanning the fields from the west bank going through the Swans and hoping for a Bewicks as one was reported earlier at Harbribge,but the were all Mute Swans I noticed a cock pheasant by some scrub.Then I started to look at the few remaining pools that were left after the recent flooding and found 16 wonderful Black-tailed Godwits.

Two of 16 Black-tailed Godwits
Sunday 5th I went back in the afternoon as I was over that way, well you just have to make the most of the weather at the moment.
The lakes were very quiet again though 16 pochard still remained on North Lake, walking along the west bank again I came across some Long-tailed Tits I watched these for a bit hoping other birds would be tagging along with them and they were this technique of standing watching and listing gave me another new bird with a Goldcrest. Their were 4 in total and I watched these for a while hoping as the were in and out of the brambles they would bring out a firecrest with them but this did not happen. Still it was nice watching these tiny birds zipping about searching for insects, along with these there were 4 very active Chiffchaff also here and there seaching for food.

South Lake looking back towards the North shore
These two days a total of four hours patch working as brought the list up to 58 species seen since the 1st of January. New and Recent birds in bold.



Mute Swan
Greylag Goose
Canada goose
Wigeon
Gadwall
Teal
Mallard
Shoveler
Pochard
Tufted Duck
Pheasant
Little Grebe
Great Crested Grebe
Cormorant
Little Egret
Grey Heron
Buzzard
Kestrel
Moorhen
Coot
Lapwing
Black-tailed Godwit
Black-headed Gull
Mediterranean Gull
Common Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Feral Pigeon
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Kingfisher
Green Woodpecker
Meadow Pipit
Grey Wagtail
Pied Wagtail
Wren
Dunnock
Robin
Stonechat
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Redwing
Chiffchaff
Goldcrest
Long tailed Tit
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Magpie
Jackdaw
Rook
Carrion Crow
Starling
House Sparrow
Chaffinch
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Reed Bunting



1

3 comments:

  1. Nice. You're really pulling away from me now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am lucky as I only work on the industrial estate at Ferndown so easy to pop down after work.
      Sand Martins should be here any day soon.
      Saw a Moorhen on the larger pool at the southern end of the large lake.
      Are you aware that there is a Bewicks Swan at Harbrige? a Pallas Warbler at Portesham last seen yesterday. Keep an eye on Dorst Bird Clubs sighting page. Also keep a look out for Red Kite I watched one yesterday at Lytchett Fields so could be about .

      Delete
  2. I've been a little slack lately. Too much happening at work, meaning my weekends have been quite busy. Will try and get out this coming weekend.

    ReplyDelete