Sunday 26 February 2017

The Longham Patch February 26th

Had a couple of spare hours this afternoon so made the most of them and headed of to Longham Lakes, glad I did as well even though it was a bit blustery there and the wind had bit of a bite.
At first the lakes especially south lake looked devoid of any birds besides a few Coot and Tufted Duck in the very choppy water. But looking carefully there was a lot more than first thought,on the causeway there were 3 Stonechat a couple of Reed Buntings and 32 Pied Wagtails. On the river the Great White Egret was fishing and in the fields 54 Canada geese and 38 Greylags which took flight and landed on the south lake after this happened I lost sight of my 1st patch record of a male Goosander and could not relocate him so I am presuming it took off while I was watching the geese fly in. Up at the top end of south lake mixed in with the Black headed Gull were 5 Mediterranean Gulls, and while up at this end I watch 23 Shoveler fly in and land on the lake.

Male Goosander

1 comment: